View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #7
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by soilwork View Post
Another factor is the number of columns in academic papers. In my field, most of the papers are formatted in two columns. At least for me, two columned papers are hard to read in my Entourage Edge (EE) which has 9.7 inch 1200*825 resolution Vizplex e-ink screen. Onyx M92 has the same size and resolution screen but with newer screens (Pearl) so it might be easier to read two-columned papers than EE.

If most of the papers in your field are formatted in one column, you will be all right. However, if not, I would recommend trying various PDF papers in your field to find out whether you can comfortably read them before purchase.
I think it is other way around, because we can read two or three column A4 pdf's (textual or scanned) even on small e-readers if they have column-split or comic option, while reading no-column A4 pdf is not a great idea because panning on 6" e-ink readers is really bad and letters are to small even if zoomed in landscape mode, so the best option left is reflow in k2pdfopt app beforehand.

My advice to trelokas is to buy used kindle dx and install kindlepdfviewer thereon and for handwriting use tablet or 6" e-ink simultaneously.

Another option is Icarus Excel ( M92) because it uses pen for handwriting and has all necessary zooming options for pdf's already built-in i.e. no need to install aditional software like kindlepdfviewer.

The downside of Icarus is its price, because it is hard to find cheaper used reader, so it will probably cost us as used kindle Dx and iPad put together.

Last edited by markom; 04-28-2013 at 07:40 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote