View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 06:47 AM   #630
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I guess I still don't understand. I can't think of any other reader or app that does things this way and they all work perfectly fine. I know some of it is just getting used to a new setup (took me awhile to get used to my first Kindle when coming from a Sony 505), I'm just struggling with it right now and trying to make sense of things.
Lots of applications have a status bar across the bottom of the screen/window. That is what this is. But, because Kobo they doesn't draw a line across the top of this area, it is hard to see where the text area finishes and where the status area starts. They also use it for the bottom menu, which does have a line across it. That is why suggested opening the menu. The line will show the bottom of the text area. I use that as guide to work out there is any vertical space I can reclaim.

Apart from permanent page display, which I want, I think Kobo reserve this area because of the highlighting function. When this is active, a menu is displayed and doesn't cover any of the text. That means that while using this function, all the text on the page is visible and can be selected.

But, I do think Kobo could reduce the size of this area. My largish fingers need a bit of room for the icons, but reducing it by about a third should work.
Quote:
I've tried all of the different fonts. I've increased the size up and down. Nothing is changing the size of that space. I like the page just the way it is for the most part, it's just that the big 'white space' is distracting me.
I don't have an AuraHD to test with. On the Glo, I can get the gap between the last line of text and the line mentioned above to be less then a line of text. This is by setting the top and bottom margins for the paragraphs and page to zero. On some pages it is a little bigger or smaller, but that is because something on the page was a bit bigger. Usually this is the heading, or a break in the text.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote