View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #541
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
"Touch only is not a second rate solution. In fact, I think it's better then buttons. Buttons are second-rate. Buttons can wear out before the touch screen stops working. "

I can hold my 650 in my left hand and move back and forth using just my thumb on the buttons. Can't do that with any touch screen. Sure buttons can wear out and software locks up so that touch screens are unresponsive. I want buttons.

I wandered up to Indigo earlier this year to look at the glow and the mini. I came away very underwhelmed. Aside from the lack of buttons, I found the lighting across the display of the glow to be noticeably uneven. But what I found far worse was the cheap quality of the alleged white leds. For those who don't know, white leds are simply solid state fluorescent lamps. They are blue leds with a white phosphor. Cheap white leds have a very this phosphor coating with the result that have a very distinct blue cast. All the Kobo units had cheap white leds. They are simply rubbish. There will be no front lit reader in my future based on what I've seen so far.

At 8", this is the same size as my unlamented Pandigital. It is a nice size for reading. The resolution is ideal. I would love to see this in a good reader.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote