View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 06:11 AM   #221
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, KPW
X-Ray in other languages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephemerality View Post
I'm not entirely sure what you mean. It will use the edited file for aliases, then download the character list and descriptions from Shelfari, then scan the book for those characters and the aliases that were defined.
Or do you mean that after it processed the book, the X-Ray file doesn't contain any excerpts from the aliases that you used? Posting the log, alias file, and which book may help if this is what's happening.
I've fiddled a little with the command-line version you put on GoogleCode.

Since it relies on Shelfari, it can quite obviously be actually useful for english books only. However, I'm quite confident it could be easily adapted for other languages.

Let me explain what I mean.

I tried to create the X-Ray file with "Incontro con Rama", which is the italian translation of "Rendezvous with Rama" by Arthur C. Clarke.

Character names are mostly the same in the italian version, and indeed the generated X-Ray file mostly works.

However some places and names are translated differently.

For example, the Italian translations for "Dr. Perera", Rome", "Paris", "Moscow" and "Cylindrical Sea" are "Dottor Perera", "Roma", "Parigi", "Mare cilindrico" and "Mosca".

If I add the translation to the "xyz.aliases" file as an alias for the corresponding english character name everything is OK, but the english name is shown in the X-Ray window of my Kindle, while it's actually never used in the book.

If I add italian character names (which are obviously not provided by Shelfari) they're skipped. If I delete english entries they're added back by XRayBuilder (and no match for those terms is found within the book).
Other infos are automatically detected in the shellfary page and there's no way for overriding them.

It would be nice if XRayBuilder could dump all those infos to some UTF8 text file which could then be manually edited, and to have an option to load it overriding shelfari.

Something like:

Spoiler:

[main]
whatever = ...

[description]
description = At first, only a few things ... behind a Raman airlock door.

[synopsis]
description = Spacemen explore alien spaceship

[characters]
Norton = "Commander of spaceship Endeavour", "alias1", "alias2", ...
Rama = The mysterious flying object

[quotes]
quote1 = "..."

[locations]
Cylindrical Sea = "", "alias1", "alias2"
New York = "An artificial island in the cylindrical sea", "alias1"
Rome = "", "alias1"

Could this be possible?
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote