View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 04:20 AM   #10
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Honestly, I was a bit disappointed by the book. It was the first Holmes I'd ever read and perhaps I waited too long.

I liked the atmosphere, and I really liked reading from the horse's mouth what Holmes and Watson are originally supposed to be like in comparison to their many screen incarnations, and to get their back story with regards to what they were up to before meeting and how they came together. Also, I happened to really enjoy the mid-book U-turn that came out of absolutely nowhere and had me scratching my head. I definitely wasn't expecting half a book set in U.S. Mormon country from a Holmes book, with Holmes and Watson nowhere in sight, that's for sure!

I admit I don't know so much about Mormon history or the forming of Utah/Salt Lake City and all that, so I found it all quite interesting. I know he gave a very slanted and fictional view of it all, but still it inspired me to look up a bit of Mormon history and find out more about it.

All that said, I just didn't find the book so compelling otherwise. It has its place in history as one of the first mystery/detective books and helped to form a now-huge genre, so I respect it for that. And maybe I went in with expectations too high. And perhaps the Holmes books and stories get better as they go along. But regardless, I can't say I particularly cared for this one so much besides the points mentioned.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote