View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 12:06 AM   #16149
alansplace
Wizard
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles 2, KB, PW 1, PW 2, Voyage, & Fire 2 -- iPad mini
Cool Why Bad Blood ends the way it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
The Nancy Drew Mystery, The Clue of the Tapping Heels (Nancy Drew #16) was again, an enjoyable and nostalgic read!

Bad Blood (Kate Shugak #20) the latest by Dana Stabenow was both exciting and insightful but I was highly disappointed at the very end as it left me wondering (wondering what, I can't say). I guess you could call the ending a cliffhanger, but I'd tend to use a lot stronger terms that that about it. Enough said!

I must take some time before deciding what to read next.
Well, after having read the below, I'm not as disappointed as I was when I finished the book and when I wrote the above. It's quoted from stabenow.com

Quote:
Why Bad Blood ends the way it does.
April 2, 2013 by Dana

I chatted with the Danamaniacs last Wednesday, and was reminded that Barbara Peters told me she didn’t want to be in the room when you all got to the end of Bad Blood. I told her not to worry, that I’d already been through the fire with Hunter’s Moon.

Now, as then, the, um, decibel level of your response is an enormous compliment to the series, and to me, whether you meant it that way or not. So thank you again.

This is what I told the ‘maniacs.
SPOILER ALERT

Spoiler:
1. Newton was right. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. What Kate did in “Nooses Give” comes back to haunt her with a vengeance. Some times the reaction happens instantly, like a chain reaction in a nuclear bomb. Sometimes it takes years. As in Bad Blood.

2. Mickey Spillane said, “The last line sells the next book.” The ending of Bad Blood, dear readers, is what we in the trade call a hook. That last scene in Bad Blood sells the next book to you, but more importantly to ME. There will be serious consequences, for Kate, for Mutt, for Jim, the aunties, and all the rest of the Park rats. I myself don’t know everything that happens next. I can’t wait to find out.

3. Kate has lost people, but she has never really looked into the abyss for herself. On a real, visceral level, she has never experienced that point every human being comes to, the realization that her time on this earth is not unlimited.

If you’re paying attention, a near-death experience will change your life. A lot you thought was important just falls away. You realize how much unfinished business you have to clean up, and how short your time is to get that done. You stop being afraid to say “I love you” to the people who matter.

Kate has always been good at paying attention, and there is plenty in her “Unfinished Business” column.

4. Hello? This is the Kate Shugak series? Whatever made you think anyone was safe in here?

and

5. I love to torture you.

The ‘maniacs will be posting a full transcript of the chat soon. Join them on Facebook and you can read it, too.

alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote