View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #1823
alansplace
Wizard
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle KB, Kindle PW 1 & 2, Kindle Fire 2nd Gen
Cool December 23, 2012 My Favorite Book: Worldbuilders Team Edition

Quoted from patrickrothfuss.com
Quote:
Nicole’s Favorite Book: Cold Days by Jim Butcher.

When I started working for Pat [Rothfuss], he was surprised to find out that I hadn’t read the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. As Pat’s love for these books is no secret, you can imagine the sales pitch that ensued. He told me frequently just how much I needed to read these books. (It was apparently Lots, with a capital L.)

I’ll admit that when I finally set myself to do so, it was with slight trepidation. You know how when someone talks something up to you so much, you’re afraid it won’t live up to the expectations you’ve developed? That’s where I was. But I’d heard so much praise that I felt I had to give the books a serious chance, and guess what?

They held up.

They’re chock-full of strong, distinctive characters, and the action always feels fresh and realistic. The world-building is solid and fascinating, and Harry, stubbornly determined and brimming with witty attitude, always manages to keep me guessing at how things will really play out. Each book is better than the one before it, and starting a new one is like being a kid in front of a bowl of Halloween candy. (You can’t wait to dig in, and no matter how long you’ve been at it, it’s impossible to walk away).

That said, I present to you Cold Days, the newest addition to the Dresden Files. I chose to add it to this year’s lottery for the simple reason that I’m in love with Harry Dresden. (Didn’t you see that’s where this was going?)

Oh, and did I mention? …This beautiful, hardcover copy is signed by the author.

Jim and his mighty and ferocious guard dog, Snowflake!

Last edited by alansplace; 03-25-2013 at 02:17 PM. Reason: add a pic
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote