View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
rashkae
Addict
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
Really? What are they? The line spacing is smaller,
Line spacing minimum is 1.2, (try to make line spacing smaller, the Kindle just ignores it.) strangely enough 1.2 line spacing looks the same as the mobi books to me.

Quote:
he font sizes are all gratuitously different
Font size of 1 em looks the same as the standard Mobie font. Of course, some publishers like to use a different font size. If you don't want to fiddle with font size, and happen to be converting with Calibre and default settings, the main text body font will be scaled to be 1 em, however.

Quote:
(making for a disruptive reading experience if you have both KF8 and MOBI books on your device), it *still* can't hyphenate, it somehow manages to be laggier than the Java-based mobi reader (fairly frequently missing page-turns or mixing multiple together, even on a K4 with its hardware page-turn buttons),
Can't comment on this, never experienced this problem. Quite the oppsite, actually.

Quote:
and publishers can foolishly choose to jam in their chosen (pig-ugly) font and prevent you from changing it to the one you prefer for all your other books.
Last time I checked, Kindle defaults to using the font selected in preferneces, and you actually have to change to "Publisher Font" to see otherwise. Are we even talking about the same device(s) here?

Quote:
Oh, and the file sizes are larger. None of these things seem at all positive to me.
Err, no, actually, AZW3 is actually much smaller, since it is a zipped format, like Epub. You are perhaps thinking of a .mobi that includes both KF6 *and* KF8 (often with the source epub as well.), which would, indeed, make that file much larger. If you actually read my post however, this is not what I was suggesting.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote