View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 08:59 AM   #30
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I have a "formula" in my head, but I am having a hard time figuring out how to express it, so I will give an example: Geek Love, by Katherine Dunn. It is about a very extreme family of circus freaks. Much of the plot is fantastic (as in not realistic), and yet I completely *believed* the characters. Yes, if I were the least-freakish child of circus freaks, I WOULD cry myself to sleep at night for being "too normal." I found this completely consistent (and interesting) within the world the author set up.

So I guess my formula is: take an unbelievable setting, and make it believable by populating it with believable characters. And yet, I checked "realistic fiction" in the poll, that is my main reading. I think the formula can apply there too. I recently read and loved "American Wife" which is a fiction book based on the life of Laura Bush. I knew almost nothing about Laura Bush going into the book. I found the character that Curtis Sittenfeld created in her book to be entirely believable in her choices. So now the formula starts with a niche world rather than an unbelievable world. Of course, the setting and characters must be interesting to me, too, but this idea of "do I believe the characters?" goes a long way toward whether I love the book or not.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote