View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 11:37 AM   #11
markom
Addict
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
No it's fine. Even djvu files looks great. I do have a Kindle DX as well but I would say it is not as good in displaying scientific documents.
Scientific documents are usually in A4 format and i really don't have problems reading A4 format pdf's on Kindle DX using kindlepdfviewer.

All it takes is either to zoom in using fit-to-page-content for textual pdf's or to remove white borders of scanned pdf using two-point-cropping (takes about 15-20 seconds for left and 15-20 seconds for right pages if there is need for such separate cropping) and then rotate pdf in landscape mode that will spread text all the way across the screen i.e. there is no useless 5 mm border as with native kindle reader.

In this way we can usually even get slight text magnification compared to A4 paper original.

The same thing is with djvu, epub and cbz files which can also be opened with kindlepdfviewer.

We can also create folder trees.

What makes Kindle DX (in the eyes of many people) not suitable for scientific use as stand-alone device is lack of drawing capabilities, but as with color recognition we can always simultaneously use some good tablet (or even 6" e-ink reader) for scribbling if reading on e-ink is really our priority.

I'll get myself M92 or another big one with stylus, sooner or later, but for now I can live without it.

Last edited by markom; 03-16-2013 at 01:20 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote