View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 06:52 AM   #15948
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony650
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Sorry, I know nothing about the movie. I read and enjoyed the novel back in 2008 and its protagonists were adults, not teenagers. It was similar in some respects to Puppet Masters (Heinlein). It was certainly not similar to Twilight (Meyer).

I agree that the novel Host by Stephenie Meyer has significant differences to her Twilight series - the characters are adult and the telling seemed directed at an older audience. However, it still did have a significant romance aspect, and ... let's just say she's not offering any surprises there.

I thought the book opened well, it is an interesting idea. Then I found it slow going for a while, but it finally picked up again in the last third. I'm not in a hurry to read it again, but not sorry to have read it once.

Guess it's not surprising that any movie adaptation would aim at a lower age bracket than the book - presumably targeting the audience that went to Twilight. When I read the novel I never got the impression that that was what Meyer intended.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote