View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 06:04 AM   #569
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What alternative would you suggest, given that the site itself lies outside the jurisdiction of the court? This has to be better than going after individual downloaders.
If piracy was something that bothered me I would go for the first uploader. I wouldn't demand something that affected innocent users of the site they chose to upload it to or crippled people using the site for promotional purposes.

But I don't have a problem with people or corporations going after unauthorised downloaders, subject to these provisos:

1. The burden of proof is on the accuser.

2. The standard of proof required is no different to that required for any other type of crime.

3. The punishment is proportionate to the crime. (I know it's not the same, but I would look at shoplifting as a guideline).
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote