View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 04:19 AM   #23
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Margins as a proportion of the page size is going to be just wrong. It's bad form and should not be done. Indents as well are in poor form for to a proportion of a page size. For margins, use pt and for indents, use em. I use 1.2em and find this works well. It's not too big with being just big enough.
For page margins I use:

@page { margin-top:3pt; margin-bottom:4pt }

body { ... margin-top:0; margin-left:5pt; margin-bottom:0; margin-right:5pt; ... }

so that they are fixed irrespective of zoom level.

For indents I use 12pt so that it does not increase with zoom level.

For headers I use em vertical spacing so that it does zoom, e.g.

h3 { font-size:1em; text-align:center; margin:1.5em 12pt 1em 12pt }

I'm not sure why page margins relative to the actual device size, (e.g. 2%) would be wrong. If you took a page and enlarged/reduced it then the margins would enlarge/reduce accordingly, (in absolute terms), but remain at 2%.

My fixed page margins work well on a 5" screen but may look very small on a 10", which is what the OP mentioned originally.

Last edited by Agama; 03-12-2013 at 04:26 AM.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote