View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #22229
WT Sharpe
Grand Muckity-Muck
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPod Nano. Other devices gathering dust.
I'm currently reading Jules Verne's Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea: The Definitive, Unabridged Edition Based on the Original French Texts, translated and annotated by Walter James Miller and Frederick Paul Walter (published by the Naval INstitute Press, Annapolis, Maryland and (c) 1993 by the United States Naval Institute. This is a great edition except for one thing: There is no ebook edition!!!

So I bought the paperback version and it arrived in the mail on March 7. This is the second time this year that a book I wanted to read wasn't available in an electronic format and I've been forced to revert back to reading the old-fashioned way my grandparents did it, and it sucks. I don't understand how anyone can prefer paper books to electronic ones. There are so many disadvantages to paper books. The most obvious to those of us with aging eyes is that there's no way to change the size or appearance of the font, but that's only the first item on the list. Any passages quoted as well as the notes that are made on those passages must be painstakingly transcribed by hand before they can be shared. Any unfamiliar word must be looked up in a separate dictionary, and any foreign phrase requires the consultation (for those of us who speak English exclusively) of a foreign-language to English dictionary if we're to understand what's being said. And they're so damned heavy! And the pages stick together. And the book is difficult to keep fully open without causing damage to the spine. So what's left for those who still want to claim "real" (paper) books have an advantage over electronic books? The smell? For the life of me, I can't discern a nickel's worth of difference between the smell of this heavy, cumbersome dinosaur I'm reading and the wonderful aroma of my delightful Paperwhite Kindle, housed as it is in a beautiful Oberon sleeve that puts 99.9% of all book covers ever created since the Middle Ages to shame.

Life is tough, but I'll survive. It all gives me a greater appreciation of the hardships that our ancestors had to go through to read books before the advent of electronic readers.

Viva la ebook!

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-09-2013 at 09:53 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote