View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #79
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD; Nexus 7; PRS-350, 950; Kindle K; OnePlus One; Galaxy S4; MBP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Context is key, as has been said. Chemists talk about the Periodic Table; theatre producers talk about period costume. But the word "period", with no understandable context (and its use as a punctuation mark would be completely meaningless to the average British reader) would bring menstrual cycles to the mind of the average British reader in the absence of any other context.
Always good to get a refresher on usage, Harry, and there's a ton about British usage that I don't know. But I hope you realize that my previous post was actually a joke. I might have mentioned this before, but my father was from the UK and eventually returned there by the time I was in my '20s, so I was aware that inferring periodic to mean of the menstrual cycle was wee Hank far-fetched.

Incidentally, I'd love to know what you think of my friend's book on the differences between British and American usage. He's an American poet who lived in London for many years.

The book's titled Transatlantic Bridge and appears to be free for Prime members.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 03-09-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote