View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #22
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DNSB's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,319
Karma: 6142827
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Device: Kobo Aura HD, Glo, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
Thanks Jon for the new version of Charis. I have been testing it (once I finally managed to persuade Mediafire to let me download the file - any reason for not attaching it to your post?).

The following also applies to your Charis SIL font.

First I renamed the files to use the Regular, Bold, Italic, and BoldItalic suffixes that the Kobo seems to use.

The main problem with both Modified and Modified Larger is getting Kobo firmware post 2.1.5 to display italics, and I have had very inconsistent results. At first Charis Modified seemed to be OK if I used the default US locale, but not if I changed the locale to UK (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=206200). Since I have added on Modified Larger I can't get either font to display italics, regardless of the locale (I am cold rebooting after changing locale). That is, I can't get italics to display with your Charis fonts even on the default US locale.

I have also raised this problem with Kobo support; they requested a sample epub that displays this problem, which I sent to them, and it has gone to second tier support. Fingers crossed this will be fixed in the next firmware release.
Not sure if this is your issue but I tried the ModifiedLarger variant and it did work for me.

Basically, I had to rename the four files to include the spaces in the font family name and came up with the following (I used Fontforge to see the font family name.)

Charis SIL ModifiedLarger-Regular.ttf
Charis SIL ModifiedLarger-Bold.ttf
Charis SIL ModifiedLarger-BoldItalic.ttf
Charis SIL ModifiedLarger-Italic.ttf

After copying the renamed files to the Kobo fonts directory, disconnecting from the computer and power cycling the Kobo, the ModifiedLarger font worked.

Edit: I tried switching to several English locales, French Canada, Spanish and Japanese and I saw no issues with displaying text style/weight other than oblique not working which it never does.
DB


Regards,
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fontinfo.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	102232  

Last edited by DNSB; 03-02-2013 at 02:47 PM. Reason: adding comment about locale testing
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote