View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #120
jalandar
Connoisseur
jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Kindle Touch, Archos 43, Nook Color, Idolpad, Pandigital
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
IMO the mostly labor of love isn't a labor of love anymore if you have to justify continuing because you have to do more work to make what you were making before Amazon made this change.

I have no problem clicking on a link with an affiliate code in it which clearly you took the time to code (or globally copied and pasted), *if* I choose to purchase from you. If I then choose to purchase a Kindle it would be nice to see a message that says "Hey ya know you're still putting $$ in Joe Blow's pocket?". That's what I perceive as the nothing part. I think most folks assume you're making a profit only on the coded link, not on additional purchases. I'm sure this thread has been eye-opening for some readers.
Frankly, I think you want to know info that has no bearing on you and your relationship with the merchant.

The merchant is the one who made the terms.

They want raw traffic, and have decided to pay that way. And they still do want that, despite the new policy, just something is going on with regard to ebooks that we have all still not completely figured out. They still are allowing us to link to free mp3s, prime videos, and the ever popular "odd items no one will buy" method to send raw traffic to amazon and get paid for indirect purchases in exchange for funneling the raw traffic to them.

They know that the more raw traffic they get, the higher the amount of purchases people make there.

You have no "right" to know all the details of the relationship between amazon and the websites. And in fact, the ONLY time you do at all is when the website in question is making a recommendation. And that doesn't require the full depth of disclosure you seem to think you have a right to. I run another website referring people to professional service providers in a couple industries I work with in this region. I disclose on the site, that the service providers who will be answering their inquiries pay our site to receive those referrals. Do we do it in BIG LETTERS right next to every link? No. Do we detail the half a dozen different ways these providers may be compensating us? No, the details are not relevant to the customer, only to us, providing the referral service, and to the companies who contract with us for these referrals. The customer has no need to know if that payment it us is one time, or will be based on all their future billings with the company as well (and we have referral agreements that work both of those ways). The company consider the payments the "cost of customer acquisition" and we keep our fees so that they are competitive and in fact usually less than the company's costs of customer acquisition via other traditional means.

But the customer doesn't know, or need to know, those details. Either they find they like the company that their inquiry was referred to, and became a customer, or they didn't, and moved on. All of the specific details of how we get paid for those referrals are none of their business, and have no impact on their relationship with the service provider as a customer.

What amazon pays an affiliate, and under what terms, should be no concern of yours. Where we are required to disclose it to you, to comply with transparency laws, we do, as amazon providers. But that doesn't mean we have to reveal each and every way in which amazon may make the compensation to us for getting your eyeballs on their site.
jalandar is offline   Reply With Quote