View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 11:53 PM   #110
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
I think you misunderstood. I didn't say "I won't ever share personal data" I said "I get to decide".
I understood perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
Also the personal data in question is not my billing details but my browsing history via cookies. Not that I'm particularly bothered about that but I was responding to this ridiculous idea that an affiliate passing information about me via a file on my computer to Amazon is somehow nothing to do with me.
If you think it's up to you whether or not Amazon, or any other web site, does whatever the hell they want with that information once they have it, including sell it to every spammer on the planet if they so choose, you have a very imperfect understanding of how the internet works.

You cannot do business with them without coughing up certain information. The only part of that information that they are restricted in what they can do with it (beyond their own policies, subject to change at any time, per those policies) is the credit card number. Other than that, it's their information, and if they decide tomorrow to sell it to the vilest, sleasiest telermaketer on the planet, there isn't much you can do about it. And damned little even people willing to spend six or seven figures on lawyers can do about it after the fact.

I will never cease to be amazed at how anyone could possibly have ever thought that there was any privacy on the internet. The moment you send a one or a zero across someone else's wires, it's not private any more.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote