View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 05:23 AM   #13
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
It looks like devices with SN starting with KG31 and/or a rev of 326 use the Touch firmware; and devices with SN starting with N905 and/or a rev of 110 use the Glo firmware... but Willa's details mess that theory up.

However, there were Touches with rev 110 in Sept 2012 before the firmware split... but even then there were discrepancies between 326 and 110. Aaah there were also N905 SNs here and here in Sept 2012... But early ones, N905B just like Willa's. All boh!'s "new" Touches have N905x with x= later letters, J, K.

So, where would the cutoff be? I found a N905C, that uses Touch firmware here but it's a bit ambiguous (is it model # or SN?) The same person confirmed here that it was the SN, but that post is confusing as I'm talking about model numbers and clsdclsd is talking about SN.

There's a first N905J SN here, and it was very modern at the time. Even had a "special" firmware version just like here which davidfor suspected was only for specific hardware... Oooh we're getting somewhere! I sent the person in question (Syber) a PM to confirm whether he uses the Glo firmware. Another N905J with the "special" firmware here. I think this means the firmware split occurred at firmware version 2.1.1.

There's a SN KG32 here, but from Apil 2012 so I'm assuming an "old" Touch.

PRELIMINARY FINDINGS – need more data to confirm

- SN = KG31: Touch firmware
- SN = KG32: Touch firmware (uncertain)
- SN = N905B: Touch firmware
- SN = N905C: Touch firmware (uncertain)
- SN = N905J: Glo firmware
- SN = N905K: Glo firmware

Warning! SN = beginning of serial number, not to be confused with model number, which all start with N905

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 02-27-2013 at 05:27 AM.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote