View Single Post
Old 08-30-2008, 12:30 AM   #20
thianliongpatpoh
Zealot
thianliongpatpoh doesn't litterthianliongpatpoh doesn't litterthianliongpatpoh doesn't litter

Device: iPad
Thx for the tips!
There's a 'bookreader' apps from cydia that will read .html. I tried it with the ebooks i purchased from fictionwise, by using convertlit to extract html from .lit. Transfering to the iphone's ebook directory is simple using iphoneexplorer (well, i have jailbroken old 8gb iphone with customised 2.01).
I put 1 book title html (and its jpgs) into 1 folder, and copy that folder to the iphone's ebook folder (not SSH, too much hassle).
Problem 1:
The iphone OS does not automatically set the file attributes to archive. it stays as read-only. When the bookreader apps open the html (yes, it would see the ebook in its list/library right away), the apps creates some sort of tracking file for last opened page, etc. Since the the folder is read-only, it can not create that file. So, after accessing and analysing the ebook/html, it gives 'error cannot create yaadaa yaddaa'.
Solution 1:
The Problem 1 can be solved with terminal apps, and using some chmode command to manually UN-read-only the ebook folder. Googleing the net helped me find details of this process. I applied it, and Voila... the ebooks i put for 'bookreader' apps is now readable..

Problem 2:
I assume the same read-only situation applies with 'ereader' ebooks (.pdb). So i did the same process, of copying and terminaling (chmod-ing) the file. Yet, while terminal shows i was succeeded, the books are not listed on the ereader library.
Solution 2:
NightWulf 'renaming' technique. I will test this when I have access again to the laptop i'm hooking my iphone (the wife's using it). Willl check what result I'd get.

thx, great forum, great technical discussion
TK
thianliongpatpoh is offline   Reply With Quote