View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #85
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Droid Bionic, 1st Gen Kindle Fire. All Sony's Retired
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteob View Post
I am sorry but I would not pay this for a chromebook. It is the most restrictive machine out there in what you can run on it due to its walled garden.I hope it does fail as it seems exactly what Jonathan Zittrain is talking about in his "Future of the Internet and how to Stop it". I am much more in favour of windows or apple which lets you run third party applications (even at the risk of malware on a pc) than the restrictive environment of a chromebook. I like android phones and tablets but the laptop is a crazy idea. I would not even buy their base 199 version as all it is is a net browsing tool.
I don't think you understand the significance of the QuickOffice announcement. Guys, this is a game changer. Using native client, this means Chrome becomes more than a browser. It means real apps running in a secure sandbox at near native speeds. Now Google's own apps will be internet focused, but the technology says, "They don't have to be internet focused apps!"

Google's purchase of QuickOffice is no accident. It's as close to MS Office as an office suite can get, I suspect. It brings serious office tools to the chrome/android environment. It means you can be as tied to the internet as you and the developers want. Since Native client is built into the Chrome browser as well (and being used for minor stuff, already), ANY PC can 'run' the chrome OS.

With a little luck and some skillful, well funded marketing on Google's part, your PC could wind up a Pixel clone most of the time. Google's goal is clearly to turn Win8 into an overpriced Chrome OS launching app.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Native_Client

http://techcrunch.com/2013/02/22/goo...bout-3-months/
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote