View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #20
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, T2; KPW2; iPad Mini Retina; Nooks
You can use calibre to organize DRM'ed books and transfer them to your Nook. You just can't do manipulative things like convert them or open them in calibre viewer, etc.

I should note that I have a Mac, but I think the commands should be very similar in the Windows version of calibre.

To create a custom column in calibre, you select Preferences > Change calibre behavior from the menubar. Select "Add your own columns". Type a lookup name such as genre, a column header name such as Genre, and for column type select "Text, column shown in the tag browser". You could create a second custom column for subgenre. You will see your new column in the calibre main window. If you put your mouse over the column header, then it shows a tool tip that says the "The lookup/search name is #genre" for example. Notice that it puts a # sign in front of whatever you typed for the lookup name when you created the column.

Here is a good tutorial from the calibre blog if you want to get a little more sophisticated with your genre column.
http://blog.calibre-ebook.com/2011/1...m-columns.html

I chose to use both genre and subgenre to organize my books. For example, I have a genre called Classics and then subgenres like Adventure, Thrillers, Romance, etc.

The next step is to tell calibre that when you transfer your books to your Nook that you want it to create folder and subfolders with this column data. Select Preferences > Change calibre behavior from the menubar again. This time under Advanced select Plugins. Then hit the dropdown button next to "Device Interface Plugins". Then select Nook Device Interface from the list that has the long list of Nook models (note that it is accidentally spelled TSR rather than STR for the Simple Touch). Next select Customize plugin at the bottom of the screen. A new window will open on your screen. I have both "Read metadata" and "Use sub-directories" checked yes. Then under the save template I have typed:

Code:
{#genre}/{#subgenre}/{title}
I like to use title for the name of my file. Some people like to use {title} - {authors} as the file name but that takes up too much space on the Nook screen in my opinion.

After you have transferred your books over USB through calibre, open your Library on your Nook. Select "My Files" from the drop down list. You can then select Memory Card and navigate through the folders under Books! I took a photo to show you an example of my genre "Classics" and subgenre "Thrillers". Hope that helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nook.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	375.7 KB
ID:	101884  
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote