Originally Posted by Awak
Well, I like this game so much that it is pity for the project stops there...
Hence I hope the author vanhoavn doesn't mind I try to keep the project alive
After some research and "breakthrough", I manage able to change the source code now!
Since I don't think Amazon will grant me a "developer" status, even I am a "professional" one, as a lot of people are waiting for it, I need to do a few hacks such as getting the KDK from backdoor and sign it with other people's store id...
See the attachment for the latest version of the Kindle Chinese Chess.
Changes in Version 0.1.0
1. Added "checked mate" message to remind user to save the King instead of misleading "invalid move" message.
2. Fix the Bug that player can select a position outside the right edge of the chessboard.
3. Changed the menu description from "Puzzle" to a more meaningful "Chose a Chess Puzzle"
4. Added a play game time at the bottom of the screen.
1. Delete the old file "KindleChineseChess-touch.0.0.9.azw2" from your Kindle.
2. Unzip the attached file.
2. Just copy the new file to your Kindle.
I have only Kindle PaperWhite to test the software - Don't know how it is working on other Kindle models... Can someone test it for me?
1. Some people may not like the "game time" feature. I am also worried it may drain the battery - Not sure how the E-ink works if I just change part of the display...I will make it as an option later when I get hold of how to use a button. More good things are coming...
2. The Chess Puzzles are hard
to solve - So far, I have solved one only.
Given time, I will put up all the solutions and include them in the game - But it may take a while...
3. I am still in learning process and sometimes get into trouble...
For example, I am using Windows environment for comiling the program and then use WinSCP to copy across via the usbnet. However, I have some problems when doing it:
Problem A: I cannot exit the usbnetwork mode even I type "ifconfig usb0 down". The connection to WinSCP has broken. However, when I plug and unplug the Kindle, it cannot enter the normal USB mode (appear as storage device) again. Does anybody know why?
Problem B: While using WinSCP is convient to copy the file across vis SSH link - If I am currently running the Chess Program on Kindle and replaced the azw2 file on the background via the usbnet link, I will get another identical Cover Item on the kindle when I go to Home Page again.
Now my Home Page is filled with the same program items all over the screen and cannot get rid of it even I have just one program file in the actual storage. Does anyone know how to fix it?
OKAY... Lets take this one by one.
Yes it is unlikely you will be offered a KDK place (this is entirely based on my opinion). Amazons "positioning" policy aside they just don't seem to be pushing this side of things. I'll leave that there. Let's just accept it and move on.
Nice one. They were as you say errant and annoying.
Like I said before.. better to update the screen every 15 seconds not every second. yes it will kill the battery.
one might run gasgauge-info -i 15 -c
in an SSH session to observe the drain every 15 seconds...
to get a sense of the actual drain occurring... ( I just did this wasn't a MAJOR drain but would no doubt get annoying if you played for hours)
EXAMPLE: NOT PLAYING GAME - JUST UPDATING TIMER ON SCREEN
That's about 1% every 10 minutes... :O
I can confirm that running DOOM will flatten a FULL battery in about 5 hours.
(to give you a sense of some testing metrics for screen refresh.)
yup testing it on a touch now. works fine. It worked okay before - assuming you don't mangle the layout it should continue to work just fine on there...
Hmm - Yeah - it's a bit sucky - I use it under Wine on Linux myself for transferring to the touch.
Make sure you have the SHOW HIDDEN FILES option turned on. [pictured]
use KUAL to bring it up and down. then you get nice messages to help you know what is going on. I suspect it may be something to do with your USBNET config. but without actually LOOKING AT IT I am just guessing.
As KNC1 said - if you transfer files OFF OF THE KINDLE - onto WINDOWS (or a FAT partition) the chances are it WILL CONVERT THE LINE ENDINGS TO MS and also it will convert symbolic links to ACTUAL FILES (I use it to do this on purpose but you may not want this)
so you see a whole bunch of copies???
My guess? Then you really DO have multiple copies of things on there...
Try running KTERM via KUAL then do a search like:
[#] ls /mnt/us/documents/Kindle*.azw2
[root@kindle root]# ls /mnt/us/documents/*.azw2
chances are you have a few copies in there.
The OP was kind enough to share the source (after I tracked him down)
- please do the same
it's really tough to give you ACTUAL input at a code level without seeing it...
AND TO BE HONEST I don't like running things that I can't see the source code of. Please share it if you want continued support.
All in - good work!!! share the code and you can get better support.
Provide SCREENSHOTS of errant things and ensure SHOW HIDDEN FILES is turned ON everywhere you can find it.
Heck, you are a developer you say so much of this will no doubt be second nature but hey... you asked.
Might I also suggest you update the AUTHOR tag in not just the game itself but also outside the game (The author info is currently just the old one and does not match the inside of the game)
Hope that helps.