View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 03:55 AM   #23763
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
because they are a more efficient use of space! one of the last install jobs I did was a new microsoft building and all of the offices had sliding doors
They are that, but it not the reason in Japan. Maybe for Microsoft, but not for the Japanese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Isn't it because you can have the house more open than a door would to have a view and fresh air? <-- just a guess. What is the reason?
They believe that a swinging door disturbs the harmony of the home...

Quote:
I would think the real question is why not insulation? It would save valuable resources.
My friends and I have discussed this often. The closest we can come is that they were really, really stupid. Then, as time went on, the went with the traditional Japanese thinking of "This is how we do it in Japan." The Koreans, whose temperature ranges are roughly the same, have been using Ondol heating, which is part of Korean traditional architecture, is underfloor heating. Very cozy when you step out of bed on cold mornings, stepping onto a heated floor! We've always wondered why the Japanese never did this, preferring instead to clustering around a kotatsu while wearing their 'inside coats' around their shoulders. Fortunately, in the last 15 years there has been a move towards actually using insulation in the walls and ceilings of houses, both with fiberglass and foam. But this is only in new construction. Older homes are still uninsulated, and there is no central heating. Each room will have some sort of portable kerosene heater or wall mounted heater/aircon unit. But most house will also have an electric rug, and people really do 'live' on the floor in Japan. I hate visiting the 'Family Farmhouse' in southern Japan in winter time. It's bloody freezing in there!!! Fortunately my wife will usually wake up before me and turn on the heater so it's warmer when I wake up. The Japanese will NEVER leave a heater burning at night. There are even people who walk around the neighborhoods around 10pm clacking wooden sticks together to remind people to turn off their heaters...

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote