View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #47
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clié; PRS-505; EZR Pocket Pro, PRS-600, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuallee View Post
It's hugely frustrating to have to do this (again). APK: let's review the transcript shall we? Because there is a huge flaw in what you continue to insist that I said. You said above that I want self-published works not to be published at all, and therefore for everyone to be deprived of works that are not published by traditional publishers.

Show me where I actually said that. You can't!
You said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuallee View Post
Publishers are necessary because they can decide not to print stuff that is absolute garbage. There has to be some sort of redeeming quality to the writing. An editor can only do so much.
This implies--whether or not you intended it to do so--that books that haven't been through a publisher should not be available. You say that editors are not sufficient to keep quality works available, and that someone should be deciding not to publish them at all.

If you didn't mean "we need publishers to prevent some books from being published," you should've said something like, "I prefer to only read books that have been through a publisher because I want someone else to filter out the garbage."

Quote:
I will say this very clearly: I don't begrudge the right of people to self publish, or of readers reading those works.
I'm glad for the clarification; that wasn't apparent in your original statement. Saying publishers are "necessary," without any qualifiers like "for me," implied that you think someone (publishers) should be filtering the "garbage" books away from the general public.

Quote:
I just personally don't want to bother with self-published works. That's not saying I don't want it to exist.
Great; glad we've got that established. It's often hard to put all the disclaimers and qualifiers into every statement, which is why a couple of us questioned your original, sweeping statement. And then you got defensive, insisting that your words meant something more than what's contained in the text, instead of saying, "oh, what I meant was [this]; I just thought it was obvious that I was only speaking for myself."

Quote:
But, as someone else said, there are very few undiscovered gems out there.
I disagree. The problem with that is confirming it is that undiscovered gems are, by their nature, fairly unknown. If I list a half-dozen self-published novels I found breathtakingly original and meaningful, you'd have no way of confirming my opinion other than reading them yourself--and if they're not in genres you care for, you'd have no way to know if they're truly literary masterpieces or just competently-written stories. If I named a dozen bands who had the talent and creativity to be bigger than the Rolling Stones, there's no way to confirm that, either.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote