View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #125
specsavage
specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
When I was in school (so many, many years ago), we had a "free read" period in English class where you could read whatever you wanted. So, I was reading the Ace paperbacks of Edgar Rice Burroughs with those marvelous covers by Roy Krenkel and Frank Frazetta. The English teacher came along, saw what I was reading, and threw an Archie comic book in front of me, saying, "Read that. It has more literary value."

I still remember reading an essay by Lin Carter (I think it was the foreward to the short story collection Beyond the Gates of Dream) in which he warned readers to stay away from "good" literature, because that stuff will rot your mind.

Book snobbery goes in all directions.
specsavage is offline   Reply With Quote