View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #27
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Droid Bionic, 1st Gen Kindle Fire. All Sony's Retired
Well, I have switched to LibreOffice from OO for the reason you mentioned. But to be fair, Apache (the open source software consortium, not the Mobileread user!) just took OpenOffice over in 2012. It will take them a while recruit new developers (most left for LibreOffice) and then figure out what to do with it, and then actually do it. And to be even MORE fair, OO and LO only really began to diverge in any significant way with the last release of LO. LO is a very good product, but so is OO.

I've also started exploring Linux again. The photography oriented software, with the exception of Gimp, still sort of stink. (And Gimp isn't perfect) But most of the other issues I've had with it before have significantly improved.

I think with Microsoft sort of thrashing about trying to figure out how it fits into our developing new paradigm for end user computing, a window of opportunity is opening for Linux that it hasn't had before. I think Linux is up to the challenge.

I've wound up installing Unbutu Linux side by side with Win7, It seems to install the easiest and offers the easiest "out of box" experience of all. The user interface is still unique, but I am getting used to it. I also tried Mint (an Unbutu derivative), Fedora, and OpenSuSe.

Mint was easy to install, but I felt the Cinnamon GUI was not as intuitive as the Unbutu Unity GUI, and no drivers seemed available for my HP Photosmart 5510 printer, while it was available for Unbutu proper. I was surprised there would be such a difference between such strong family members with only a slight difference in flavor.

With Fedora, and OpenSuSe, I felt they expected a level of knowledge that I didn't have and frankly, didn't want to research to acquire.

Installation was easy. I downloaded the iso file in Windows, and then burned the iso file to a DVD (Forget CDs, not big enough capacity.) There is also a method to put the distro on a thumb drive (which I also did for an HTPC with no DVD drive-pretty easy too, directions on Unbutu site).

The ISO will let you run directly from the DVD, though it is kind of slow and clunky. Just put it in the drive and reboot. There was an ICON in the Unbutu desktop for installing, just double click it, and the install process starts. Very early in the install process, it will ask you how you want to install. There were 3 options:
  1. Install beside Existing OS - this partitions the hard drive into 2 parts, which you can size to your needs (easy) or accept the default (roughtly 50/50 split) and Linux is installed in the 2nd partition. This is what I selected - I will use Win7 for photography and (hopefully)Linux for everything else.
  2. Delete existing OS - This gets rid of the old operating system and everything else on hour HD and dedicates the entire PC to Linux.
  3. Custom - I didn't even explore!

It really was easy to do and the most stressful part was tracking down the driver for my HP printer. It took me to a 3rd party linux driver site. I answered the questions, the driver downloaded, and it works fine.

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 02-20-2013 at 03:33 PM.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote