View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 07:16 AM   #208
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinfamousj View Post
How about just plain" dishonest"? Unless you tell the salesperson that you already have decided to buy online, you are lying by omission.
Let's say that I find a product that I like at store A, with the intention to buy that product at store A. I then go to store B to check the price, ask a few unanswered questions about the product, and perhaps to see what else they have. Even though there is an opportunity for the second store to get my business, I'm still going in there with the intention to buy from the original store.

Is this 'just plain dishonesty'? I must wholeheartedly disagree. It is called comparison shopping. It has been practiced for generations, and it has been practiced for generations for a good reason: a fool and their money are soon parted. People who buy without doing their research is a fool (at least when it comes to money).

I find this whole showrooming conspiracy a bit overblown. Showrooming makes sense for expensive products like televisions and computers, but not for low cost items like books. If you are that cheap, why would you waste money on gas and loose sight of the monetary value of your time?