View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #51
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
I actually have built myself one of these scanners - as a Christmas present for myself - and it works fine. As a student at the technical university in Norway I have access to a CNC router and could make the parts quite cheaply. With a hi-res camera, I can scan ~600dpi in color in about 4 seconds. It takes so long because I store the captured JPG-image and the raw-data directly from the camera, pluss I process the images in real-time instead of post-processing. If I only had taken the compressed jpg-image, it would have taken about a second (max two seconds) per dual-page.

Right now, I'm getting acceptable results. I have some problems with reflections in the glass, but that seems to be unavoidable with this design. I am experimenting with techniques for removing reflections and glare, but have not been 100% successful.

Rotating, descewing and OCRing can be done quite efficiently as post-processing by quite simple scripts. All in all, this is a very fine scanner for books. It can scan my old, valuable books without destroying them, and I now can read them (i.e. the digital copies) in bed while the originals slumbers safely in my shelves.
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote