Here is how the desktop app works for the new archive function. This is based on notes I made while using beta versions. But, there have been some changes in the released version.
To start with, the function is on the "Library" tab. This lists all your books from Kobo, unless you have deleted them.
Next, the archive function is only available when a device is connected. When no device is connected, you can delete books from the apps library or download any newly purchased books. Books in the library that are being read, have a bookmark symbol sticking out the top of the book. But, there is no way to tell were in the book you are of if it is finished.
When a device is connected, if it has firmware version 2.4.0, you get the following:
- Each book that is on the device has an icon to show this. It is a little ereader with a tick next to it.
- A banner is displayed across the bottom of the list. It has:
- "Kobo Glo Connected". I assume it will change to "Mini" or "Touch" for those devices.
- The used space
- A bar chart of the space used
- The total space. This does not include the micro SD card.
- A couple of buttons. The buttons are disabled unless a book is selected.
- When a book is selected, the buttons are enabled dependent on whether the book is on the device.
- If it is on the device, the button "Remove from reader" is enabled.
- If it is not on the device, the button "Add to reader" is enabled.
- If multiple books are selected, the buttons are enabled or disabled depending on the state of the selected books.
- If you right click on a book, you get the following options:
- Open - to read the book
- View Detials - open pop up with book description.
- Add to eReader - only if the book is not on the device
- Remove from eReader - only if the book is on the device
- Delete from Library - Delete from the library. If you want it back, you have to visit the web site.
- The icon on the book changes depending on what is happening.
- If you move the cursor over a book that is not on the device, an icon is added to add the book to the device.
- If you put the cursor over the icon for a book on the device, it changes to an action to remove the book.
- While a book is being sent to the device, the icon is changed to show this.
The "Remove from eReader" action is the same as the "Archive" action on the device. When you see the book on the device, it will have the download arrow over the cover and the library list will have the status "Tap to download". And the "Add to eReader" is the equivalent of tapping an archived book.
The main thing that is missing is the ability to maintain the on reader state when the reader is not connected. I would like to be able to do this so that when it is connected, everything is synced. The advantage of the way it works now is that it is easy to manage multiple devices that are logged into the same account.
I think that is it. Please tell me if you see a mistake or that I have missed something. Also complain if any of the above doesn't make sense or needs more explanation.