View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 07:42 PM   #457
DuaneAA
Connoisseur
DuaneAA juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDuaneAA juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDuaneAA juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDuaneAA juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDuaneAA juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDuaneAA juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDuaneAA juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDuaneAA juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDuaneAA juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDuaneAA juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDuaneAA juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Kindle Fire HDX
Wow. Where did you find an audiobook version of The Witches of Karres? It has been one of my favorite books since the 1970s and I reread it every few years. Mostly I get audiobooks from audible or from the Fort Worth library and neither of them have it. Does it have a decent narrator?

Okay, to give something back. It seems like I went through a long drought where I couldn't find any audiobooks that I liked well enough to stick with them to the end. But I have just finished two books in a row.

The one I just finished yesterday was Himmler's War by Robert Conroy. It is one of those 'what if' books. In this case the premise was - what if Hitler had died in an allied bombing in June 1944 and Himmler took charge and let the Generals fight the war as they saw fit without Hitler's 'Never retreat an inch' edict. I enjoyed it and found myself looking forward to my daily commute to listen to it.

The book before that was something completely different - Oh. My. Gods. by Tera Lynn Childs. The book had sat in my wishlist for a long time as I had earlier tried a novel about mermaids by this author, but it was so bad I couldn't listen to the whole thing. But for some reason this book worked a lot better. It is a young adult book about descendents of Greek Gods with powers going to a private school on a remote Greek Island. The premise was pretty lame, but the story and the narrator sucked me in. I will admit with written books my tastes run mostly to sci-fi, but I have found I generally prefer lighter books like things in the YA category for listening to in the car.

Duane
DuaneAA is offline   Reply With Quote