View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
Katsunami
Wizard
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Maybe it's better not to know

I've been thinking about the thread where I ranted about bad markup, coding, and typography of ebooks. In the end, I came to the conclusion that the old saying could very well be true:

"Ignorance is bliss."

I'm thinking that people who don't know *anything* about the creation of ebooks are probably more accepting with regard to problems or things that "just don't look that good". I know that I've read quite some paper books with crappy fonts or any number of problems such as enourmous chapter headings way too much margin, too much spacing between paragraphs, and that sort of thing.

Mostly I've just shrugged my shoulders at it, read the book, and went to the next one, but in ebooks, it sometimes irritates me to no end.

I'm thinking that this is because I actually understand how to create an ebook, and that I'm (mostly) able to fix it if I really want to (with regard to time, and such), something which is not the case in a paper book. I obviously can't fix that.

OK... this thread has three polls in it. What I'd like to determine is:

1. How many people know how to create ebooks?
2. How many people who know how to create ebooks actually look at the code before they are going to read the book?
3. How many people who look at the code are so annoyed that they actually go in and try to fix it?

So, everyone can answer the first poll. That will split people up into the ones who can, and cannot create ebooks.

Please only answer the second only if you said "Yes" to the first poll. It's of no use to look at code when you don't actually understand it of course; so this will determine the number of people who know about ebook creation will actually open one up to check.

And only fill out the third poll if you said "Yes" to both of the ones above: it'll sort out the people who can create ebooks, AND actually look at the code, AND actually fix it (or not).

I hope to get something like this:
- 70% of the peopel here can create ebooks.
- 50% (of the above 70%) checks code before reading.
- 30% (of the above 50% of 70%) actually tries to fix a book.

Thanks

Poll: Do you know how to create eBooks?[*]Yes[*]No
Result:

Poll: Do you compulsively check the code (before reading)?[*]Yes[*]No
Result:

Poll: Are you bothered by crappy code (and try to fix it)?[*]Yes[*]No
Result:

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-16-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote