Here's the first test version I'm releasing with the 'Anthology' feature.
FFDL will now let you:
- Download a series from a web page into one anthology epub
- Download arbitrary story urls together into one anthology epub
- Update all the stories in one of the anthology automatically
FFDL calls code in EpubMerge 1.3.0, also attached. You'll need to manually install both right now. (Response for testing EpubMerge with UnMerge has been underwhelming, so I'm not comfy releasing it yet.)
To make an anthology containing a series:
- use FFDL > 'Get Story URLs to Download from Web Page'
- paste the series URL
- click 'For Anthology Book'
- review the presented URLs if you like, click OK
The anthology feature doesn't have any mechanism to look for duplicates (it may get one later.), so this will always make a new book. The series URL will be saved as a calibre 'url' identifier.
To update an anthology you've already made:
- select the anthology book--only one at a time allowed
- click FFDL > 'Update Anthology'
- review the presented URLs and settings if you like, click OK
If the anthology has a calibre 'url' identifier (that isn't
a valid story URL), it will be used to get the list of story URLs to pick up new stories. You will be warned about stories that have been removed from the list and will be removed from the anthology.
For sites like ffnet which don't have series, you can also make an anthology from arbitrary URLs:
You can also create update-able anthologies from stories you already have downloaded, but it's a manual process right now.
- click FFDL > 'Make Anthology Manually from URL(s)'
- paste or drag story URLs, click OK
- Go into EpubMerge config and enable 'Keep UnMerge Metadata' (defaults on)
- select the existing FFDL stories in your calibre library
- click EpubMerge
- when you get to the metadata dialog, go to the Identifiers field
- type id: and paste the series URL if you have one.
- BUT! you have to change the http: to http|. Don't look at me--it's a calibre thing.
You might want to look at the EpubMerge custom column settings before doing that if you're a big custcol user.
Be careful--it's a bit of a corner case, but if you have the 'Search EPUB text for Story URL' config option turned on, you could theoretically update an anthology as a single story and corrupt it. I'm still thinking about ways to prevent that.
UPDATE Feb 19, 2013 -- Remove obsolete beta versions