View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 03:59 AM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2, iPad, KindleFire and NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by locomouse View Post
Okay... maybe this is not the proper thread... but after trying to upload my .ePub Sigil file to Smashwords I get this error message:

File 'iTunesMetadata.plist' in EPUB not listed in manifest!

And I have no idea what an ITunesMetadata.plish file might be.

You know... one would think it would be a simple matter when one is giving their book away for free. But no. Can't use iTunes Producer unless you have a Mac. And yet they (Apple) have no problems with one purchasing their wares via a PC.

Not gonna rant.... but whoaaaa.... !

If anyone has successfully uploaded an ePub file to Smashwords (it's in Beta, yes, but it should be possible), I'd surely appreciate knowing how you jumped through the hoops to do so.

I'm not usually this much trouble... but I'm at my wits end.

Thanks ever so much.

Helen
Hi, Helen:

Well, the dreaded itunesplist file is a notorious issue--I'm very surprised that you didn't get any search results here on MR, when you searched with that, as it's been discussed a lot of times! Just don't open your files on any Apple device before you ship them, as our Ducky mentioned.

As far as the Smashwords-ePUB Beta, there's also a thread somewhere around here, in which I participated and outlined the not-less-than-seven attempts a client of ours made to get his ePUB (that we made for him) accepted at Smashwords. We finally decided that making him Word files from his final ePUBs, and sending them to him, was easier than trying to deal with the black hole of Smashwords' unhelpful error messages, all of which seemed to be centered around them getting their publisher's credit on the TITLE PAGE, and little else. When the seventh ePUB was rejected, even though I had copy-and-pasted the requisite text from the SW Style Guide itself, I told my client I wasn't willing to jump through any further hoops, as we're bookmakers, not at-will secretarial services, trying to hit an ever-moving and never-defined goal, making ePUB after ePUB in some futile attempt. If and when Mark Coker gets his act together, and the ePUB intake is more sophisticated, I'm sure we'll get more requests from our clients--perhaps--as we only get asked for files for Smashwords around 2-3 times a year, out of the 800+ books that we make annually.

If you'll try searching on Smashwords and ePUB, I'm quite sure you'll find that thread.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote