View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 04:40 AM   #44
fratermus
e-bookworm
fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, K3, KF2, Touch (dying)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I've always found it ridiculous to have thousands and thousands of free (or pirated) ebooks in Calibre. You can't read all that. Even at a rate of one book per day, it'll take you around 3 years to read 1000 books. What's the point of having 10K books? It'll take at least 30 years to read them, probably much longer.
Even in this digital age is not uncommon for files to go offline for whatever reason and have to be resurrected from someone's personal archive. This happens over an over in the various hobby-related communities where I participate. Servers crash, companies retract/redact information, etc.

We're still stung by the loss of the library at Alexandria. What if someone had paid copyists to [re-]duplicate every incoming resource there and stored it in their cellar version of Calibre? Even if he couldn't personally read them all we in the present would be grateful to have his collection.

What if Arab scholars and (to a lesser extent) Irish monks not effected the so-called Transmission of the Classics?

What if a lone copy of Frontinus' treatise on the workings of the water supply in Rome not been rediscovered hiding in a library, facilitating the repopulation of the city and the relocation of the locus of re-nascent culture from Firenze to Roma?

I'm not saying that every .mobi or .azw file is a candidate for future greatness, but it might just be something that someone needs.
fratermus is offline   Reply With Quote