View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 01:05 PM   #9
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
If people see the UAC prompt alot it is due to the fact the MS is now enforcing those best practices. Of course, now the perception is that "Vista" is the problem because of the UAC prompt showing so often... but the UAC prompt is only a response to an application that is doing something it probably shouldn't be doing such as accessing system folders or settings, etc.
Right. Make the system nearly unusable, but hey, at least it is secure. Might as well pull the plug, that would be REALLY secure. You know what the response is of most users to UAC? Turn it off before it drives them nuts - because 90% of the time it pops up for completely innocuous things. End of security. And you still might want to read that PDF I linked to - because UAC is not the be-all end-all that they pretend it is.

Strangely enough, almost the only time when I see my "root password" prompt on my linux box is when I run the package update system.

Quote:
Also, when Apple or Linux has the same issues or makes the same mistakes people are much more forgiving... I just don't understand that either?
I'm sorry, I failed mob psychology 101 - and this is not relevant to the discussion of security.

Quote:
Did you know FireFox 2 had more security vulnerabilities reported against it than IE 7 did in the same time frames?BOb
And a quicker fix rate. While Microsoft was still denying certain vulnerabilities have impact, instead calling them 'theoretical', or scheduling them for next months patch batch.

Look, I don't want to step all over your Microsoft fandom, but I have been working with a mixed unix/windows environment as a system and later on network admin for many years now. I'm not just parroting what someone told me. I don't mind working with Microsoft, it is pretty much what you are going to get in a corporate environment, and they have made improvements, but XP wasn't exactly the most secure system, and Vista is a bust for various reasons. Let's hope the next iteration fares better.

And if I make little jokes about them, it is only because they so richly deserve it.

Last edited by acidzebra; 08-27-2008 at 01:15 PM.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote