View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 12:54 AM   #30
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post

There's no guarantee with anything. As has been said a new device could fail tomorrow or die 20 years from now. Anything that's mass produced like this is going to have a certain failure rate. As long as you aren't doing something that could damage the screen you're much more likely to have the battery wear out after 5-6 years than have the reader stop functioning IMO.

I had a neighbor when I was growing up who came to know that feeling. The family had bought a new T.V. set (the old dial type with cathode ray tube) and one day not long after they got it, the thing just died. And my mom had that happen to a coffee maker. She plugged it in the 1st time, poured water in to make coffee, the thing perked about a cup of coffee (out of a 12 cup capacity) and ceased to function. I saw a show on PBS the other night where they talked about the 1st transistors. Back then they weren't the most stable things I guess. One minute they'd be working and then you could tap them with a pencil and they would stop working. Technology has gotten a lot better now days but everything wears out in time and parts are so small you can't tell before hand if something will work a normal lifespan or not.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote