View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I disagree about the map, Jon. I don't think it's necessary to have read any of the Witches books before reading any of the City Watch books, for example - although it is important, within the sub-series, to read them in order. Colour of Magic is not required before being able to enjoy Guards! Guards!
I disagree. I think you learn more about the Discworld world by starting from Colour of Magic and going forward in published order. So that by the time you get the Guards! Guards! you have a better understanding of what's going on and who is who. Terry does not tell you who is who or what's what from the previous books when you read Guards! Guards! that you are better off having read the books before.

I have to say that to recommend that map to anyone who has not read Discworld is doing that person a disservice and never mind that fact that it's confusing to a new Discworld reader. I've been reading in order and I find it works best that way. I know who is who and what's been going on. I'm not lost and I'm not being spoiled.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote