View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #444
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Veranda is a bit more readable to me (strange, because I *hate* sans serif fonts on paper), but I like the "bookish" look of DejaVu Serif more. I'm switching every chapter or so
It is a matter of habit. There is not a whole lot of paper that use san serif fonts (unless you print something yourself from the computer). There is this big war going on (I don't get it either) arguing (and they are serious) which is easier and faster to read - serif or no serif. With computers beeing relatively new compared to paper, it is not too long ago that serif fonts look like crap on low res computer screens. They still look like crap on low res. So the solution was to just make them san-serif on the computer. And everybody got used to think: serif is on paper, because it looks good, and san-serif is computer because it looks better than serif on computer.

Check out this article which-are-more-legible-serif-or-sans-serif-typefaces
Quote:
Finally, we should accept that most reasonably designed typefaces in mainstream use will be equally legible, and that it makes much more sense to argue in favour of serif or sans serif typefaces on aesthetic grounds than on the question of legibility.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote