View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #36
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
Ten year plans are not useless in a world of 10 year retail leases. No one who makes these plans believes that they can possibly predict the future. But when the concrete question is whether to renew your 10 years lease or not, you need to have some sort of an answer. And having a 10 year plan is almost certainly better than not having one.
My answer as CEO of B&N would be "No" in all cases. I wouldn't sign up for anything past 5 years. If it meant moving, then I'd move.

Nobody can tell what the world will be like in 10 years, especially in retail, especially when the market is increasingly involved in electronics and software. Spending C-level time on 10 years from now, other than once a year to talk with the staff futurists, is a waste.
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote