View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 09:48 AM   #1623
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post
I think it depends on the kid. I was reading anything I could get my hands on at 12, including Mickey Spillane, Ian Fleming and Robert B Parker. My brother was an avid reader and was 10 years older than me. So when I wanted something to read, I grabbed something from his shelves.
I also read anything I could get my hands on as a kid. Should I have been? No, I don't think so, for some books anyway. I read the Hannibal Lecter series when I was 12-13 years old. My mother should have been paying more attention . On the other hand I don't think Dresden is that bad. Definitely not the most graphic books I've ever read. I could have handled it at that age. I think sexual education classes in school are more graphic than these books. Would I let my daughter read it, no, not yet. Maybe at 13 though depending on how she matures. If she can see the difference between real life and a story in a book, then yes.

I have 4 kids between the ages 8-12. 2 boys, 2 girls. My oldest daughter (not my blood but makes no difference to me) is 12 and pretty mature for her age but I cringed when I found out she read Twilight. The last book had a lot of sex and vampire half-breed baby making. Even though the sex was vague, it made it sound like the best thing in the world. That's what bothered me. I don't want to be a grandmother by the time I'm 30 .
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote