Thread: Silliness Quiz
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 09:36 PM   #10746
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
This may turn out to be an easy question or a difficult one. Only time can show that... But since we're on the subject of Greek philosophers; which novel is this paragraph from:

Quote:
“H’m,” the chief inspector observed, struck with an idea. “Now that I come to think of it, by George! I know where all this fictional-detective stuff started in the first place. With that Greek philosopher chap in Plato’s Dialogues. He always annoyed me. A couple of Greeks would be walking along, not bothering anybody, and up would come this damned philosopher and say, ‘Bon jour’ . . . or whatever they said in Athens . . . ‘Bon jour, gents; have you got anything on hand this afternoon?’ Of course the other chaps didn’t. They never had. There never seemed to be any business to attend to in Greece. All they did was walk about hunting for philosophers. Then Socrates would say, ‘Right you are. Now let’s sit down here and talk.’ Whereupon he would propound some question for them to solve . . . he knew the answer, of course. It was never anything sensible, like ‘What do you think of the Irish question?’ or ‘Who will win the Test Match this year, Athens or Sparta?’ It was always some God-awful question about the soul. Socrates asked the question. Then one of the other chaps spoke up, and talked for about nine pages; and Socrates shook his head sadly and said, ‘No.’ Then another chap took a shot at it, and talked for sixteen pages. And Socrates said, ‘Ah!’ The next victim must have talked till it got dark, and Socrates said, ‘Possibly.’ They never up and hit him over the head with an obelisk, either. That’s what I wanted to do just from reading the thing, because he never would come out and say what he meant. . . . That’s the origin of your detectives in fiction, <*name sencored*>. And I wish you’d stop it.”
Edit: and also, what name is it that I have cut out from the excerpt

Last edited by Iznogood; 01-30-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote