View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Since nobody else responded up to now, I will try to tell the little that I think I know. However be warned, I am not even a linux user.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalekmun2010 View Post
First Question: From what I have read, when a Kobo finds a archive named KoboRoot.tgz in its .kobo directory it will extract the contents to it's root, adding new files and replacing old ones, Am I correct?
You are correct.
Quote:
2nd Question: I have been reading this guide, and have gotten confused at some parts.
Most tutorials say that You have to factory reset your kobo to start hacking, is this necessary for any other reason then to get the default KoboRoot.tgz file?
I do not think you have to do a factory reset at all. You can get the file by using Direct Links to Kobo Firmware.
Quote:
... so I guess that
Code:
/usr/local/Kobo/nickel -qws &
(Near the end of the file) would be it, but I don't want to unnecessarily brick my device because of it.
This (before this line) is exactly the place I did it too (and it did not brick my device).
Quote:
Q4: After editing the file rcS, the tutorial says to run the command
Code:
tar czf KoboRoot.tgz etc/init.d/rcS
This leaves me with a KoboRoot.tgz with nothing in it but etc/init.d/rcS, and all the other files are missing. Do I need all the other files in KoboRoot.tgz, or do I update everything BEFORE editing rcS?
(Is Updating before hacking even necessary if I'm running the latest firmware?
If you did not do a factory reset and your device is already at the recent firmware, you do not need to override anything but the rcS at this moment.
tshering is online now   Reply With Quote