View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #391
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Hi Juli,
Thank you so much for doing this!

I'd like to add:
  • Get rid of the bent, top righ-hand corners of the book images - they make it impossile to read the book covers. What's the point of them?
  • If they are going to default to the unchecked box for "remember me", could they at least leave it checked for the mobile view please?
  • Add a "Classic View" button, so users can continue to see the better view
  • From the browse view, show me:
    1. the entire title of the book
    2. the entire name of the author
    3. when it was released
    4. how many copies the library owns
    5. how many of those are available
    6. how many people are on the waiting list
    7. which formats are available
    8. (All of this is what was formerly available. Now, all we see for each book is half a book cover, half a book title, and half an author's name!!)
  • Also from the browse view, let me check out the book, place it on hold, or add it to my wishlist.

Example: When browsing for SciFi/Fantasy on the Brooklyn site, ordered by "added to site", the old view shows me, for the first book, these options and info:

When browsing for SciFi/Fantasy on the Brooklyn site, the new view shows me, for the first book, NO options and this info:

Are they serious?!

[edited to add: view is on iPad3 Safari browser]
I have a few additions, so figured it easier for Julie if I quote the entire post and then add more.

Requests:
  • Add all Fiction categories to the drop-down menu at the top - there is enough space!! Use indents to the right in the top nav menu if it would otherwise be deemed too long.
    • To browse for SciFi titles, in the old view, it took me two clicks from any page: Browse -> SciFi
    • In the new view, it takes me 2 clicks from the home page but 3 clicks from any other page with an unacceptable amount of scrolling: menu -> fiction- View more... -> scroll, scroll, scroll through book covers of various categories, find my category -> View more...
  • Improve performance: the new site is much, much slower to load pages than the old site.

Another, better example of old vs new view, because it addresses series:

Browsing SciFi&Fantasy titles ordered by added to site, the 4th title on the Brooklyn site shows the following info:

Old view
Quote:
Book cover thumbnail
Lara
by*Bertrice Small
Sample
Series: The World of Hetar
Release date: May 01, 2006
Available copies:**0*(1 patron(s) on waiting list)
Library copies:**1
Kindle Book - Place a Hold - Add to Wish List
Adobe EPUB eBook - Place a Hold - Add to Wish List
New view
Quote:
Two thirds of the book cover graphic
Lara
by*Bertrice S...
A bookmark graphic
(I know now that that clicking it adds it to my wishlist. Not intuitive at all.
*underlined= clickable

Last edited by xendula; 01-27-2013 at 11:19 AM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote