Thread: Troubleshooting Kindle Paperwhite stuck on boot
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 05:54 AM   #1
Clytie
Bookworm
Clytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it is

Device: iPad2
Angry Kindle Paperwhite stuck on boot

G'day

I received my KP a while back, and it has mostly worked well. Its only eccentricity has been an occasional strange reluctance to download content. Every now and then, a just-purchased-on-Kindle ebook will fail to download. It doesn't show up in the Cloud, because Amazon assumes it has downloaded. Requesting it download again has no effect. Only restarting fixes this.

This was annoying, but didn't happen often enough to drive me to public complaint, although I planned to consult my retailer about it if it persisted.

However, today when this issue occurred again, I chose Restart from Settings, and my KP got stuck on the boot screen (tree icon and rotating progress indicator). It's been stuck there for over half an hour.

Forced-restarting doesn't work. I can hold the power button down for several minutes, and the KP will just grey out briefly and/or get stuck on the boot screen again.

I tried plugging the KP in, but the USB screen did not come up, nor did the KP show as a USB drive. This isn't surprising, since it hasn't loaded its software, but I thought it was worth a try.

I have no WiFi issues (home network, good signal). Updates were greyed out. I can let the dratted device run down and hope something changes, but that will take a while.

Meanwhile, your suggestions are most welcome.

(Grumpy P.S.: none of my previous ereading devices, from my Handspring Visor to my current iPad2, have ever given me this sort of trouble. Grrrr.)
Clytie is offline   Reply With Quote