View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #15
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Thank you for the suggestions.
To answer those saying "why bother? Go and do something else if reading isn't fun,". I know that reading IS fun, from my previous experience and I feel lost without it in my life, as though I've been deserted by a much-loved spouse.

To the peeps suggesting that I should read something I've loved before: the Blyton seems to be helping a little, though I think I've lost my "reading stamina" so can't read for long before needing to do something else. Hopefully, this will be overcome by practise.

elemenOP: I think you may have hit the nail on the head as to the cause of this slump. I have far too many books on my ereader, which seems to devalue each one and make it hard to choose between them. I thought that watching vids about books kept reading as part of my life and might rekindle my desire to read. Maybe it's providing a poor substitute.

Dr. Drib: yesterday, I felt a little dizzy, so listened to a badly abridged audiobook of "Pride and Prejudice" lasting all of two hours! And read by Joanna Lumely. It was a Christmas present from a friend who was unaware that I don't like Austen. The abridgement improved Austen's prose imho - I think reading Austen is like wading through glue - so I enjoyed the story, even though hugh chunks were left out. Your OTR progs sound intriguing.

issybird: I suppose Blyton is my ice-cream. You can keep the exercise!

My personal genre preferences are: historical fiction; humour; light romance; classics, but not Austen; classic children's fiction.
I sometimes, though rarely read horror or paranormal novels, and I've tried, but not been able to get into, sci fi.

Thanks.
BookCat is online now   Reply With Quote