View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #19
_savage
Connoisseur
_savage began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
First, I'd like to complain about the

Second, that's an interesting conversation on the general use of EPUB3, and I agree with Turtle91 here. Both standards are compatible. In fact, when I took one of my EPUB2 books (text only, two illustrations) and converted it to EPUB3, nothing changed at all in file size and as far as the reader was concerned. Just some internal .xml adjustments to comply with the definitions of EPUB3.

Here are a few scenarios though where readers do profit from embedded multimedia:
  • Cook books. If you've ever tried to follow text only instructions to make a meal, you've probably noticed that it's a bit difficult; in contrast, having images helps a little, but watching somebody cook helps a lot. Thus the success of cooking shows on TV paired with cook books.
  • Educational books. I remember that in school we read about experiments (physics, chemistry) or behavior of animals, cell division, whatnot. Sometimes there were drawings to illustrate these concepts. But once we went off and _did_ the experiments, or _watched_ a movie about cell division, things took on a whole new understanding.
  • Archiving. In my case (why I asked the initial question for this thread in the first place) we are using eBooks to archive talks given by a meditation teacher in form of well-formatted eBooks. It's great! We have the original talk, we have the written transcript, and a few images scattered around. You'd be surprised how this changes the whole experience!
  • Encyclopedias, documentations, the list goes on...
Yes, these books are huge compared to text only books. Two things to that argument. The EPUB3 standard _encourages_ embedding media, but doesn't require it. That means, you can stream content to your eReader, and most of the time my Nook is on some Wifi anyway. Memory is cheap.

Plain reading books won't disappear, and I will always love picking up real books But I like my Nook eInk to travel with more books. And I also like the idea of being able to do so much more with different media that traditional printed books wouldn't allow me to do. Just because I can Having said that, leafing through a large teatable photobook is something no device can give me.

But I do have the choice and opportunity to pick what I like, right?

And now, please let's go back to the initial question. Can I somehow, magically, "fix" the audio pane to the pages as I read through the flowing content?
_savage is offline   Reply With Quote