View Single Post
Old 08-22-2008, 11:11 PM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I think both of these speculations are true. I think Amazon does try to convince publishers (and now writers and/or agents) that their platform is somehow "safer" with respect to piracy (and I also think that if anything locking the format to a single device makes it more likely that the work will be hacked and distributed. I also suspect Amazon offered a premium if TG would sign with them exclusively. They've just cut out the publisher-as-middleman entirely.
The truth is that AZW is as hackable as Mobipocket is using the same program. I think one of the safest formats is LRX. That is the Sony format with DRM. That has yet to be hacked to remove the DRM. We will eventually have lrf2html once it's finished being written as part of Calibre. So from what I see, Sony is safe and Amazon is not unless they go for Topaz.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote