Hi all - Sorry to offend!
The reason I added my post was because I searched for an answer to this question, and found this board. Whether it's old or not, it's still shows up in searches (like searching programming help from 2005 can still be helpful).
The 2013 beta version of iBooks I have access to STILL has this problem. Adding the display-options xml file FIXES the problem. Let me also add that "samp" is not needed if specified fonts is true, so this fixes incorrect information originally posted in 2010. And samp is bad code practice.
Also - there is not a single reference to the display-options xml in this thread, so perhaps it should have been added (which I just did).