"chaley", not "charley"
Join Date: Jan 2010
Device: Many android devices
Calibre Companion Change Log
- Updated language: French, Spanish, Russian, Vietnamese
- Added language: Czech
- In CC templates, treat custom series columns the same as the built-in series column. Using the bare lookup key (#key) returns the custom series name. Using #key_index returns the custom series index.
- Tell CC that FBReader supports azw3 even though FBReader keeps it a secret
- Better support CC Google Play licensing on devices without Google Play installed
- [BUG FIX]Change labels in grouping drawer/sort menu when switching between languages
- [BUG FIX]Use CC translated values instead of calibre values in the grouping drawer.
- [BUG FIX]Some changes that might help with language instability
- [BUG FIX]Remove incorrect hint in widget config dialog
- [BUG FIX]Change some hard-coded English strings to use the translated version
- Permit selecting which items to show and their order in cloud book details
- Permit selecting which items to show and their order in the cloud top-level category list
- Updated languages: French, Russian, Vietnamese
- [BUG FIX]Remove "No provider chosen" from the list of selected cloud providers
- [BUG FIX]Fix slashes not being converted to underscores in CC template items
- [BUG FIX]Fix crash in Gingerbread when launching settings
- [BUG FIX]Fix crash on CC startup on Gingerbread devices
- [BUG FIX]Fix regression causing the Connect to cloud menu line to appear even when deactivated
- Ensure the grouping drawer is closed before showing the "Tap "Back" again to exit" message except if the grouping drawer is not closable (e.g., a wide device)
- Show a line in the connect menu for each selected cloud provider. Change the cloud provider preference to a set of checkboxes instead of radio buttons.
- [BUG FIX]Fix rare SD card-related crash
- Add the option to set the cover view background to a single color
- Add the option to set a background color for desktop widgets
- When using group-on-startup, apply any sort attached to the group
- Attempt to die gracefully if CC's database is corrupted
- Update languages: French, Spanish
- [BUG FIX]Fix goodreads identifier links not working
- [BUG FIX]Fix very rare crash when searching
- [BUG FIX]Correct some messages in the auto-connect log
- Find random book action. Tapping it will choose a book from the currently listed books and open book details on that book.
- DB upgrade small performance improvement
- Update languages: French, German, Spanish
- [BUG FIX]Fix cloud connection losing second and later authors, identifiers, and author links when downloading books.
- [BUG FIX]Detect when the "Group on startup" group is no longer in the grouping drawer. Reset the option if the group is gone.
- [BUG FIX]Disable the Read action in the content server book details if no formats have been downloaded, rather than telling you that you must download a format first.
- [BUG FIX]Fix sometimes not remembering the last search when CC restarts.
- Add ability to group on CC dates such as date added
- Add ability to sort items in grouping drawer ascending or descending
- Move "save cover to file" preference to Covers and thumbnails
- Update languages: French, German, Spanish
- [BUG FIX]Fix failure to back up large CC databases
- [BUG FIX]Fix crash caused by out-of-range ratings
- [BUG FIX]Fix incorrect values when grouping by date because timezones were ignored
- [BUG FIX]Fix (again) intermittent problem getting the folder list from Dropbox
- [BUG FIX]Sort item selector boxes by name when the box doesn't contain position change arrows
- Reorganize connection settings into a single preference group
- Add ability to enable/disable individual connection types (Wireless device, Wireless device/sync, Content server, Cloud)
- Add settings to limit maximum height of additional information cells (top, middle left, middle right, bottom) on the book list
- Updated languages: French, German, Spanish
- [BUG FIX]Fix problem with getting folder lists from Dropbox caused by revision identifiers with a type different from what the documentation implies is possible.
- Show only books in selected group when Grouping Drawer / Show empty values is unchecked
- Add "Date Accessed" (date book details displayed) to sort menu and book list customization settings
- Updated languages: French, German, Russian, Spanish
- [BUG FIX]Fix another rare crash when returning to CC Cloud display
- Updated language: German
- Changes required to offer the demo version on Amazon
- [BUG FIX]Fix black-on-black book reception progress dialog on Boyue e-ink devices
Click on the Spoiler button to see the change log for a previous version.
Click on the Spoiler button to see earlier releases
Version 3.5.7 (21/Nov/2014)
Version 3.5.6 (7/Nov/2014)
Version 3.5.5b (26/October/2014)
Versions 3.5.5/3.5.5a (23/October/2014)
Version 3.5.4 was never released on Google Play
Version 3.5.3 (18/October/2014)
Version 3.5.2 (17/October/2014)
Version 3.5.1 (17/October/2014):
Version 3.4.4 (2/September/2014)
Version 3.4.3 (31/August/2014)
Version 3.4.2 (09/August/2014)
Version 3.4.1 (02/August/2014)
Version 3.3.6 (09/July/2014)
Version 3.3.5 (22/May/2014)
Version 3.3.4 (1/April/2014)
Version 3.3.3 (29/March/2014)
Version 3.3.1 (20/March/2014)
- Add the ability to mark a book "Read" in CC. The value is changed in book details, and you can group on this value. The information can be synced with calibre (requires calibre 1.28 or higher).
- Read/Not Read can be synced with a calibre Yes/No custom column. CC's Date Read can be synced with a calibre Date custom column. See the "Marked Read" options in CC's Settings for more information.
- Add a "Read" mark on the right side of the book list that shows only if the option "Show Read information" is checked and if the Read info is not empty.
- Refuse to sync Read info if calibre is not at V1.28 or higher.
- Show popup messages during connection if the user sets up Read syncing and the calibre columns do not exist or are the wrong type.
- Attempt to handle read-only folders such as those on external SD cards on devices running Android 4.4 (kitkat). In the folder selector, tell the user if s/he has chosen a read-only folder.
- Change manual path specification when setting CC's folder to make the process more clear.
- Add some spacing to the "Groups" item in the grouping drawer.
- In the grouping drawer, add the count of items under a first letter, e.g., [5 authors, 15 books]
- Allow closing the grouping drawer with a right-to-left swipe in the grouping drawer itself.
- Add an option to tell CC to auto-close the grouping drawer when a leaf item is selected.
- Add options to move the Sort, Connect, and View commands from the action bar to the app's menu. This makes space available in the action bar for more "current grouping" text. This option is mostly useful on phones.
- Add sort by calibre's publication date.
- Add the identifiers field to book details.
- In book details, make Authors, Series, Tags, Publisher, and identifiers clickable. Clicking an item takes you back to the main display, changing the grouping to select the clicked item.
- Left and right swipe in book details now change the book being displayed.
- Support sending books to Google Books and to other apps such as cloud sync and email using menu items in book details. Google Books is removed from the list of readers.
- Reorganize some of the preferences, separating grouping preferences from more display-oriented preferences.
- Change the URLs in CC to point at the new Calibre Companion MobileRead forum.
- [BUG FIX] Fix the computation of series_sort when scanning for new books on connect.
- [BUG FIX] Always display Title over Author in the book list when sorting by dates
- [BUG FIX] Honor the calibre date display formats when showing pubdate or calibre's date field in the book list.
- [BUG FIX] Make long-press searching in the grouping pane ignore searching on group names
- [BUG FIX] Fix crash in book details when there are no authors
- [BUG FIX] Attempt to tell Android when books are deleted in hopes that it will update the info it shows to MTP clients
- [BUG FIX] Upgrade the Google support library in hopes of eliminating some rare crashes.
- [BUG FIX] Don't crash when an app advertises that it can handle a book format but in fact cannot.
- [BUG FIX] Change how debug logs are sent in hopes that sending from a kindle will attach the debug log to the message
- [BUG FIX] Fix a few cases where out-of-memory errors crashed the app.
- [BUG FIX] Fix problem where the "Use grouping drawer buttons" required an app restart to take effect.
- [BUG FIX] Do not update CC's date changed when doing a database upgrade
Version 3.2.6 (14 December/2013)
- Improved performance of metadata updating while connected.
- Remove the code that was causing "security exceptions" in kitkat
- Include a newer version of Google's support library in hopes that it has improved.
- Repaint the main window after returning from preferences so that cover size changes take effect immediately.
- Prevent crash when sending email from CC and the device has no email client.
- Reset the grouping drawer after a search so that the book counts are correct.
Version 3.2.4/Version 3.2.5 (26 November/2013)
Version 3.2.3 (5 November/2013)
Version 3.2.2 (16 October/2013)
Version 3.2.1 (14/October/2013)
- Account for Amazon's Kindle for Android app using a different folder for books (Android/data/com.amazon.kindle/files), and for the app using .prc as its preferred extension.
- Avoid sending metadata from CC to calibre during wireless device connections, reducing initial connection time by up to a factor of 10. This change requires calibre 1.6 released 12/Oct/2013. Note that you will not see the improvement until after a successful connection/disconnection. CC will continue to work with older versions of calibre, offering no performance improvement.
- Provide a "Download all" menu item in the content server, permitting you to download all the books in a category such as all books by an author or a series. This change requires calibre 1.5 released 26/9/2013. If calibre has not been updated, using this function will show an error message.
- Fix crash where the folder depth of a CC book folder exceeds approximately 100. Folders structures that deep cannot be scanned.
- Reset the grouping drawer after a search so that the book counts are correct.
- Reduce a timeout to avoid very rare "Application not responding" errors.
- Don't incorrectly erase the current grouping specification from the title bar.
Version 3.2.0 (25/September/2013)
- You can now group on ratings.
- Ratings are searchable using relational operators, such as rating:>=3 for books with rating of 3 or higher.
- Float, int, and date values are now searchable. Date searching uses a fixed syntax yyyy-mm-dd. You can leave off part of the date to do partial checks, for example pubdate:<=2000 will find all books published in 2000 or before.
- Optionally display comments in book details using the full screen width. This is controlled by a new preference in the "Display" group that defaults to "off" (existing behavior).
- In book details, use the minimum amount of space for labels that word wrap. Previously these labels forced the column width to its maximum, around 12-15 characters.
- Don't disable the "read" button in the content server book details page if the book isn't downloaded. Instead give the user a message that downloading is needed.
- Support wireless device and content server connections to a local computer when tethering and the phone/tablet is hub. The phone/tablet is acting as the wireless hub.
- Improvement in connecting as a wireless device in certain more complex network setups, in particular those that use both IPv6 and IPV4.
- Use correct font size in book details for the "Comments" label.
- Fix rare case where book's grouping information was added incorrectly to the database.
- Fix incorrect title bar text when returning from book details or the content server.
- Correctly handle another date format that appeared from nowhere.
- Remove "phantom books" from the count of books being displayed in grid (cover) view.
- Fix boolean rows being cut in half in book details when large fonts are being used.
- Fix rare crash when changing the folders where CC is to put books.
Version 3.1.1 (8/September/2013)
- A new preference setting to control whether extended formatting is shown in comments in book details
- Performance improvement when returning to the main list from book details.
- Fixed an uncommon crash returning from book details
- Fixed display of custom date columns in book details.
- Fixed the book's unique ID (UUID) not being correctly recognized when scanning books to add to CC's library.
- CC now finds the correct OPF in epubs when the epub contains more than one OPF file.
Version 3.1 (5/September/2013):
- HTML such as <center> is now displayed in book details.
- Significant performance and stability improvements for large libraries
- Ability to "clean" CC's database, which will often improve CC's performance.
- CC now maintains a "debug log" that can be sent to CC's developers, helping to resolve problems.
- Fix incorrect handing of new custom column date format coming from calibre.
- Eliminate several rare crashes related to closing CC while a connection attempt was still in progress.
- Fix rare crashes that happened when tapping on books before the list had settled.
- Avoid certain calibre "Device didn't respond in a reasonable amount of time" problems that happened when sending hundreds of books at a time.
- Fix a problem where some devices ran out of memory while searching for the series information in the content server.
Version 3.0.5 (28/Aug/2013)
Version 3.0.4 (19/Aug/2013) (Major release)
- View books by cover in a grid
- Grouping functions are available from book lists by opening a "drawer".
- In content server, queuing a book for download that has no acceptable formats no longer hangs the queue.
- In content server, force a disconnect and go back to the book list if the content server has disappeared.
- Fix searching after choosing a user collection
Version 2.9.1 (13/Jun/2013)
Version 2.9.0 (6/Jun/2013)
- Long-press on a book shown in the content server display starts downloading the book. You can do this with multiple books; the downloads are queued.
- You can set a device name for your phone/tablet. This name is displayed by calibre when you connect as a wireless device.
- Added the series information to the content server books display.
- Fix handling of composite custom columns intended to be comma-separated.
Versions 2.8.0 and 2.8.1 (21/Apr/2013)
- Improvements in connecting to the content server for people who have more than one server or have one server visible both on the home LAN and on the WAN
- Fix bug encountered when Android kills CC when it is reading from the content server.
- Fix a rare crash when checking for missing books.
Version 2.7.1 (27/Jan/2013)
- The sizes of book thumbnails and covers can be changed.
- Long-tapping on a group searches for books in that group. You can then browse groups showing only those books
- Sorting on calibre’s date column.
- Group by date columns using yyyy-MM.
- Calibre pubdate & date groupable by adding their lookup names to the list of groupable columns.
- Work around Cool Reader not advertizing that it can handle .mobi books
- Display plain-text comments without losing new lines.
- Fix crash caused by doing a search with queries that somehow end up empty.
- Fix several rare crashes
Version 2.6.1 (16/Jan/2013)
- An option has been added to tell CC and calibre to use calibre's book identifier as the file name. This helps when both the wireless connection and the content server on multiple devices and you want the same file name. The the FAQ "How can I make CC use the same file name for content server and wireless device connections?" above
- Allow path components in content server URL settings
- Fix crash in Find books with missing files when the process was restarted
- Fix rare out-of-memory problems
- Fix CC occasionally complaining about valid IP addresses
- While connected, disable some preference settings that should not be changed until disconnected
Version 2.6 (9/Jan/2013)
- You can now set font size in book details and when connected to the content server.
- Added a "Delete all" option in Find books with missing files
- Easier to clear a search: just tap the text telling you that a search is active.
- Moved the Find books with missing files operation back from the settings menu to the main menu
- Removed search option from Find books with missing files. It didn't do anything useful.
- Fix font size changes not being respected in some situations.
Version 2.5.3 (23/Dec/2012)
Version 2.5.2 (3/Dec/2012)
Version 2.5.1 (24/Nov/2012)
Version 2.5 (23/Nov/2012)
- A new, simplified, settings system.
- The font sizes used in CC’s book/item list and book details displays can be changed.
- It is now possible to use different IP addresses for the wireless connection and the content server connection.
- You can use a URL for the content server address instead of an IP address and a port.
- It is possible to connect to the content server using 3G as long as the content server is visible on the internet (most home calibre content servers are not).
- The number of subitems shown on the second line when grouping can be changed. Setting it to zero removes the line.
- You can now search using regular expressions, using calibre’s “~” syntax.
- Fixed problem with default reader selection causing crashes or opening the wrong book.
- Fixed several content server connection problems, in particular when using reverse proxies or non-calibre authentication, and when the server had problems providing correct book data.
- Fixed crashes when navigating up to the root folder when setting folders for extensions.
- Searching custom columns using prefixes incorrectly compared the prefix to the column name instead of the lookup name.
- Some text custom columns were ignored when searching.
- Fixed a few problems triggered by rotating the device at inopportune times.
Version 2..4 (8/Nov/2012)
- Now available in French.
- Experimental support for audio books (mp3)
- Change the delay before requesting a review to 24 hours, not 24 minutes.
Version 2.3.2 (19/Oct/2012)
Version 2.3.1 (12/Oct/2012)
Version 2.3 (10/Oct/2012)
- The ability to choose a default reader app for a book extension (format)
- Ability to choose Kindle for Android for Amazon-format books that are stored in the /kindle folder on the device. When you launch K4A from CC, you can easily find that book by going to K4A's "on device" view and sorting by newest.
- Dramatically improved performance when deleting more than one book from calibre. Requires calibre 0.9.2 or later.
- Add "languages" to book metadata display.
- Fix possible crash in content server integration triggered by the combination of a slow(er) calibre server and tapping too quickly.
- Fix content server integration crash caused by entering IP addresses or domain names that are syntactically incorrect.
- Fixes for some rare timing problems that could cause CC's content server integration to crash.
Version 2.2.2 (6/Oct/2012)
Version 2.2.1 (5/Oct/2012) and version 2.2 (a test release)
- Integration with calibre's content server.
- EPUB scanning didn't store series.
- Unusual opf files in EPUBs caused duplication of author names and missing author sort values
- Ensure that generated file names do not contain illegal characters.
Version 2.1.2 (24/Sep/2012)
Version 2.1.1 (19/Sep/2012)
- Calibre Companion shows a dialog when it cannot connect to calibre because another device is already connected. This has become important because of calibre's MTP support. Requires calibre 0.8.70.
- Improved performance when scanning for EPUBs already on device, and when uploading and downloading books. Requires calibre 0.8.70.
- Shorten path names so that Windows Explorer can see and open books put on the device by CC. Requires calibre 0.8.70.
Version 2.1 (15/Sep/2012)
- Search for books using calibre-like search expressions. You can search for most text fields. NB: searching the comments field has been disabled for performance reasons. A way to explicitly search comments (comments:whatever) will be added in a future release.
- Scan for books in the folders managed by CC. Pass them to calibre to do the metadata analysis. This requires calibre 0.8.69.
- Added a "Date read" date. You can sort by this date.
- Added a "header" to the lists that describes what the list is showing.
- Fix display of empty boolean values in books details.
- Improved wording in some progress dialogs.
- The sort menu did not come back when using the back button to exit grouping by user collections.
Version 2.0.2 (10/Sep/2012)
Version 2.0.1 (6/Sep/2012)
Version 2.0 (4/Sep/2012)
- Option to not group books initially by first letters.
- When changing where books are saved, your books are now moved to the new location.
- You can long-press on a book to skip straight to reading it.
- You can check for books in the database that are missing their associated file.
- More extensive in-app help.
- Better performance across the board, particularly when showing long lists of items when grouping.
- Return to the same position in the list when using the back arrow.
- Yet another Improvement in handling memory for images.
- Improvements in handling memory during book transfer.
Version 1.10.1 (4/Sep/2012)
- Improvement in connection that should help if the machine running calibre has multiple IP addresses, such as VPNs or virtual machines.
- The book details window can now be rotated.
- Fixed crash when looking book details when a date was empty.
Version 1.10 (29/Aug/2012)
- Addition of a book details display
- Ability to delete a book in CC
- Support for calibre "save to" templates containing folders.
- Tapping a sort twice will invert that sort. For example, tapping title twice will sort from A to Z then Z to A.
- Sort by date last changed (in Calibre Companion)
- Improvements in handling of connection progress and connection failure. These improvements require calibre 0.8.67
- Fixed problem in mDNS (bonjour) that might have made connections more difficult in Gingerbread-based phones.
- Prevent "half-stored" books (metadata but no book) if calibre is disconnected in the middle of a transfer.
Version 1.9 (27/Aug/2012)
- Addition of an "About" dialog
- Improvements in handling of connection progress and connection failure.
- Improvements to the IP address entry dialog, including display of the device's IP address on the WiFi adapter.
- Changed the Android default 3-minute connection failure timeout to 5 seconds.
- Make the connection progress spinner persist across device rotations.
- Remove the "Add books to library" background text when there is only one book in the library.
Version 1.8.2 (25/Aug/2012)
Version 1.8.1 (24/Aug/2012)
- Added pdf and azw3 to the default extensions
- Fixed problem with DB upgrades when the DB had been damaged somehow.
- Fixed problem selecting folders on "non-standard" SD cards when the folder already exists.
Version 1.8 (23/Aug/2012)
- Dramatic performance improvements in sorting and grouping
- Performance improvements when connecting to calibre
- Progress bars when uploading metadata to calibre or downloading metadata from calibre.
- Ability to enter arbitrary paths for folders, allowing access to "non-standard" SD cards.
- Notifications during certain database upgrade operations.
- Better use of memory when downloading books. Should help devices like the Nook Color.
- Font color problems when choosing folders
- Improved separation of items when grouping, to avoid confusion between items containing commas and items separated by commas.
- Improvements in connection, attempting to avoid spurious connection failure messages.
- Better information in calibre about IP addresses and ports.
- Fixed a problem when sorting by series.
- Indicate on the action bar when grouping is active.
Version 1.7.1 (21/Aug/2012)
Version 1.7 (20/Aug/2012)
- Improved function of the back button.
- Dramatically improved performance when not using grouping. (Grouping performance improvements to come.)
- Improved "flinging" performance by displaying covers in the background.
- Fixed license verification for older devices when using multiple google accounts.
- Multiple send-book jobs no longer confuse the progress dialog.
- More reductions in memory usage.
- Cleanly disconnect from calibre when the app is exited using the back button.
Version 1.6.1 (18/Aug/2012)
- Fix regression in group-by displays. (sigh. Long days lead to silly mistakes.)
Version 1.6 (18/Aug/2012)
- Grouping is saved and restored
- Book/format folder routing (folder per extension)
- Splash screen on startup while loading books
- Message saying "transfer books now" when library is empty
- Total redo of memory management to (one hopes) eliminate the out-of-memory errors when sending books and on display of large libraries.
- Don't force a particular sort when grouping
- Ask for WiFi permissions, something that HTC seems to demand.
Version 1.5 (17/Aug/2012)
- Add error messages for incorrect IP addresses, for example to the content server.
- Book/format folder routing (folder per extension)
- Better handle screen rotations when showing progress dialogs.
- More information from the license manager
Version 1.4 (15/Aug/2012)
- Fix regression in IP address handling
Version 1.3 (14/Aug/2012)
- Better IP address and password dialogs
- Multi-level sorting
- Fix crash caused by missing covers.
- Make progress bars survive application sleeping
Version 1.2 (13/Aug/2012)
- Attempt to detect connecting to the content server instead of the device handler.
- Prevent WiFi sleeping when connected
- Add the CC version number to the dialog with calibre.
- Make transfer and initialization dialogs sticky.
Version 1.1 (12/Aug/2012)
- Fix problems caused by library redisplay while downloading.
- Don't redisplay on every book. See if more books will arrive in time.
- Fix problem with creation of default folder.
Last edited by chaley; 02-04-2016 at 05:50 AM.